9 Ideas to Decorate Your Home for the Holidays
There’s nothing that will put you in the holiday spirit more than adding some great holiday decorations to your home. According to a survey conducted by HomeGoods, 47% of Americans haven’t updated their home decor in the last five years – and nine percent haven’t in more than 10 years. Well, at the SRE Group, we know how much of a difference making a little change in your home can make. We say that if you fall into the statistic we mentioned above, maybe you should start your updates small with a few new holiday decorations this year (and selfishly, we love seeing our residents’ homes decorated for the holidays!).
Not only are holiday decorations fun and festive, they can also be pretty easy and inexpensive. If you’re thinking about getting in the holiday spirit by adding some decorations to your home, we have a few suggestions about how to get started:
- Hang a big red bow or a wreath in each of your windows or just even on your door.
- Arrange a basked of pinecones and greenery next to your fireplace.
- In addition to decorating the outside of your home with lights (those are our favorite!), wrap tiny white tree lights around the frame of a large mirror in your home.
- If you have a mantel in your home, collect family holiday cards from previous years and display in chronological order for all to see. It will be fun seeing how the family has changed and grown throughout the years!
- Make your mailman happy by decorating your mailbox with winter plants, a bow, or even some Christmas lights.
- Try something new with your Christmas tree this year. If you usually do all ornaments, try just hanging lights. Or, for something totally different and out of the box, you can decorate your tree with long, cascading tendrils of different colored ribbons. You can collect these all throughout the year and then see what you’ve found come Christmas time!
- Add a new centerpiece to your kitchen or dining room table. Put a collection of ornaments in a big bowl and voila!
- Pin mittens that your kids have outgrown to pieces of yarn and display them along a bookshelf for a fun, wintery decoration. You can also hang kids’ socks or knit caps.
- Give your dining room chairs a holiday makeover by adding festive ribbons and ornaments. Just wrap a wide ribbon around the chair, tie a bow in the back and then attach some ornaments for a fun and festive new look!
We think that these suggestions will get you off to a great start with your holiday decorating. We’d love to hear if you think of any other creative ideas on your own though. Visit our Facebook page and post some of your best decorations from the year. We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
If you’re looking to make a bigger change in your living accommodations than just adding a few holiday decorations, contact the Schottenstein Real Estate Group today. We offer great locations throughout the state of Ohio and all of our rental communities are decked with convenient amenities and staffed by people who share our commitment to customer service.